Soup’s On! Gotta love a tasty go-to soup – and this plant-based option warms the soul. Full credit goes to Melissa Clark at The New York Times https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016062-red-lentil-soup
3 Tbs olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 Tbs tomato paste
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
pinch chili pepper
1 cup red lentils, rinsed
1 Qt chicken or vegetable stock
2 cups water
1 large carrot, diced
1/2 lemon, juiced (more to taste)
1. Heat oil in large pot over high until hot. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 4 minutes.
2. Stir in tomato paste and spices and cook for 2 more minutes
3. Add broth, water, lentils and carrot. Bring to a simmer, partly cover pot and decrease heat to medium-low. Simmer for 30 minutes.
4. With an immersion or regular blender, purée half the soup and then add it back to the pot, giving a slightly chunky consistency.
5. Stir in lemon juice and serve!